skip to main content

Springboard Logos


NFQ Level:  8
Credits: 30
Award Type: Special Purpose Award
Application: Apply Now
Closing Date: 9th September 2022
Modules: View Modules

Course Description

Certificate in Industry 4.0 - MTU Kerry Campus from Munster Technological University on Vimeo.


Industry 4.0 and Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) have become extremely relevant and increasingly important in manufacturing for a multitude of reasons. It helps manufacturers with current challenges by allowing greater connectivity of their machines, greater operational insight into the process, makes reacting to changes in the manufacturing process easier, faster and more efficient and allows greater product traceability. The implementation of Industry 4.0 and IIoT techniques within a manufacturing facility can increase yield, quality and product throughput, while reducing downtime and improving process efficiency.

These methods can increase the speed of process improvement and innovation, leading ultimately to more profitable manufacturing and subsequently to a more sustainable and profitable future in the industry. This programme is designed for persons who are currently working in the manufacturing sector or want to pursue a career in the sector and need to develop their knowledge and skills accordingly. The modules on this programme address current technologies in advanced manufacturing and provide students with the broad range of skills needed in industry today.


  • Instrumentation Monitoring & Control
  • Industrial Internet of Things: Applications
  • Industrial Networks, Distributed Systems & Cloud Computing
  • Industry 4.0: Cyber Physical Systems
  • Machine Learning/Data for Internet of Things

Entry Requirements

Applicants must hold an NFQ level 7 or equivalent qualification in a science or engineering discipline. The University’s policy in relation to recognition of prior learning (RPL) also applies.


This programme will be delivered in a blended format part-time from September 2022 to May 2023. The majority of content will be delivered online, however, students will be required to attend a number of workshops (approximately six) on-campus throughout the duration of the programme.


Fees do not apply to applicants who meet the Springboard+ initiative funding criteria. For employed applicants the HEA will pay 90% of the programme fee, the remaining 10% - €360 will be payable before registration. For applicants who do not meet the Springboard+ eligibility criteria the fee is €3,600.

Progression Opportunities

On successful completion of the programme students will have gained 30 credits at NFQ level 8 which may contribute to the achievement of other academic awards.

Lifelong Learning Department

Email: email
Phone: 066 7191701