skip to main content

Can I stay and work in Ireland after I graduate?

Students graduating in Ireland with an Institute of Technology Tralee degree at level 8 or above (honours degree, masters or doctorate) may apply to stay on for a period after their studies for the purpose of seeking employment - and with the potential to apply for an employment permit.

The maximum terms under the current regulations are:

  • Level 8 (e.g. Bachelor Honours Degree) - Maximum 12 months
  • Level 9 (e.g. Masters Degree) - Maximum 24 months

Under the terms of the Third Level Graduate Scheme 2017 Revision, a graduate who qualifies will be granted an extension to their current student permission, with an immigration Stamp 1G, for a period of 12 or 24 months depending on their level of study. Entry to the Graduate Programme is available to persons only if they apply within six months of confirmation of their award and while their current student permission is still valid.

What are my entitlements under the scheme?

Holders of a Stamp 1G can seek employment, work for up to 40 hours per week and apply for further permission to remain in the state under employment permit arrangements. The types of work which can be undertaken with Stamp 1G are not limited to specific employment categories or salary levels, as with employment permits.

Graduates who receive the Stamp 1G are also entitled to return to education after availing of the scheme if they re-enter at a higher level and can finish the new course within the overall 7 year limit on studies for non-EEA students. For graduates with an award at level 9 or above the overall limit is 8 years.

How do I apply?

To apply to renew an immigration permission under the scheme, graduates living in Dublin should go through the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS), 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2. Graduates living outside Dublin should go through their local Garda Siochána (Irish Police) registration office. When attending, applicants should take documentary evidence of their exam results in addition to the usual requirements for renewal of a GNIB card. Cards are issued at the normal fee rate.

When can I apply?

You can apply as soon as you receive confirmation of your degree result. To qualify, application should be made within six months of results being received.

Note: Graduating non-EEA students can engage in full-time work (up to 40 hours per week) between 1st June and 30th September provided this period is covered by an existing Stamp 2 student permission.

Where can I find out more?

For more information of the conditions and requirements of this scheme please visit the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) website.

Contact Our Office


International Office


International Office
MTU Kerry North Campus
Co. Kerry

Contact by:

WhatsApp: +353 873449532

Visit Munster Technological University –Cork City campus (Cork Institute Of Technology)