Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.

Department of Business

Springboard + Logo

 

Postgraduate Diploma in Bioeconomy with Business

NFQ Level:  9
Credits: 60
Award Type: Major Award
Application: Apply Now
Closing Date: Monday, 11th September 2020
Modules: View Modules

Course Description

 

The Post-Graduate Diploma in Bioeconomy with Business is a flexible, one year part-time, blended distance-learning programme designed to enable upskilling of those in the workplace and those seeking to engage in further study.

The bioeconomy is one of the EU’s largest and most important sectors encompassing agriculture, forestry, fisheries, food, bio-energy and bio-based products with an annual turnover of circa 2 trillion euro, employing around 18 million people, creating €621 billion benefits and 4.2% of the EU's GDP. The biobased industries have the potential to generate 1 million innovative jobs across the EU by 2030. This level 9 programme is positioned at the interface of primary production, sustainable processing, biotechnology, new product development, supply chain dynamics, innovation, business and policy. Co-developed by an interdisciplinary team from IT Tralee, UCD and Teagasc, students will gain a deep and critical understanding of the theories, concepts and frameworks of the bioeconomy from technological, environmental, social and business perspectives. A suite of innovative pedagogies (peer-to-peer learning, place-based learning, action learning, professional and work-based learning, site visits and case studies) will be applied across the curriculum. This approach will equip graduates with the skills and competencies to exchange and apply learnings (bioeconomy in practice) within the workplace, be that public or private sectors, SMEs or large organisations.

Entry Requirements

Applicants must have a minimum NFQ level 8 degree in science, agricultural science, business, management, engineering or other relevant area. Ideally candidates will possess relevant experience in one of the following areas: manufacturing; research and development; laboratory; quality; supply chain; procurement; engineering policy; funding or sales & marketing in one or more of the following sectors: agriculture; food & beverage; life science; chemical; packaging construction and policy. The Institute’s policy in relation to recognition of prior learning (RPL) also applies.

Duration

This programme will be delivered in a blended format part-time from September 2020 to September 2021.

Cost

Fees do not apply to applicants who meet the criteria under the Springboard+ initiative. Fee paying applicants: €5,505, however, for employed applicants the HEA will pay 90% of the programme fee, the remaining 10% - €550 will be collected before registration.

Progression Opportunities

On successful completion of the programme students will have gained 60 credits at NFQ level 9 and may have the option to progress to the MSc in Bioeconomy with Business.

MODULES

  • Bioeconomy Model for the Transition to a Low Carbon Economy
  • Bioeconomy Feedstocks
  • Life Cycle Assessment
  • Conventional Valorisation Technologies
  • Biorefinery Processes and Technologies
  • Biobased Value Chains, Products, Processes and Markets
  • Green Technologies Project
  • Policy and Social Aspects of the Bioeconomy
  • Knowledge, Innovation and Industry
  • Work-based Learning: Bioeconomy Improvement Opportunity

Lifelong Learning Department

Email: email
Phone: 066 7191701