Skills developed over the four year course include: Professional/ethical practice, holistic approaches to care and the integration of knowledge, interpersonal relationships, organisation of management of care, personal and professional development.
Nursing offers exciting opportunities to develop valuable specialist knowledge and skills that are in demand both nationally and internationally. Registered general nurses can develop career pathways in a number of ways, including:
- Clinical practice: specialisation in a wide range of clinical practice areas, e.g. Cardiology, Intensive Care, Palliative Care, Public Health Nursing and many more
- Management: progression in nursing and health care management structures
- Research: joining the fast developing field of nursing and health care research
- Education: opportunities to become a lecturer in a third level or health care institution
Former IT, Tralee nursing students have worked across Europe, and in America, Canada, Australia, Africa, Saudi Arabia and other middle-eastern countries.
This course is of 4 years duration and consists of 76 weeks of classroom-based theory and practical learning interspersed with 81 weeks of clinical placements. A thirty-six week continuous rostered clinical placement is included. Clinical placement includes:
- Medical Nursing General/Specialist
- Care of the Older Person
- Surgical Nursing General/Specialist
- Primary Care/Community
- Accident and Emergency and Outpatients
- Operating Theatre
- Child Care and Paediatrics
- Maternity Care
- Mental Health Nursing
Students go on nursing placements in Tralee, Bantry, Killarney, Caherciveen, Rathmore and many other sites. International placements are also available.
The University's nursing courses are taught in the purpose-built Sólás building at the North Campus. This state-of-the-art facility has technology enhanced classrooms, lecture halls and practical skills laboratories, interpersonal skills and computer suites. Our partnership with the Health Service Executive and Bon Secours Hospital in Tralee offers students a wide range of exciting clinical placement facilities.